The focus of the 40 Hour Famine for 2021 was to support their work in...
Horowhenua College would like to invite parents and Year 8 students to...
Below is the link to the stationery lists for all year levels and...
We have the courage to try new things and do our best Involvement in these activities motivates students to succeed in all areas and play an important part in a balanced education.
Sustainability – We Care for our World
Attractive surroundings encourage a positive attitude. We have excellent facilities in which to learn.
Special Features Include:
- Large Modern Library
- Learning Support Area – extended and remodelled
- Assembly Hall – refurbished
- Modern well equipped Technology Block
- Administration – refurbished
- Two Gymnasiums
- Performing Arts Centre
- Wharenui (Te Puna o te Matauranga)
- Two computer rooms; all computers have Windows capability
- Computer pods in the library, T Block, Careers Centre, N Block and Art Suite
- Attractive surroundings encourage a positive attitude. We have excellent facilities in which to learn.
- New Automotive and Engineering workshops
- Art suite and photographic laboratory
- Five modern Science Labs
- Full size swimming pool
- Large canteen
- Beautiful central courtyard
- Two mini vans for trips away
- Rock Wall
- Camera Surveillance
- Recording Studio
Success – We Challenge Ourselves
We focus on teaching and learning, closely monitoring student progress to ensure that students gain the best qualifications they can.
High academic achievement is encouraged by:
- A school “tone” which promotes learning as the central focus
- Individual mentor programme for Year 13 students
- Participation in Scholarship exams, and participation in Australasian Maths and English competitions
- Regular, compulsory homework
- Appropriate alternative courses enabling students to achieve at an appropriate level
- Services Academy
- Trades Academy
- Badge Assemblies for Academic, Service, Culture and Sports
- Commendation certificates for hard work awarded by the Principal
- Rangatahi Ora Whanau Group
- Special programmes for gifted and talented and highly motivated students.
Positive Relationships – We Care For Each Other
Care and Support for the Individual
We recognise that each student is a unique individual who needs sustained support and guidance. This is provided by:
- Whanau Tutors and Deans who move through the school with their Whanau groups. Students will have the same Whanau Tutor and Dean for all their years at College thus providing a consistent focus point for parents and caregivers.
- A student support network in which senior students “mentor” junior students:
- Year 13 “buddies”
- Student Council
- Socials and sporting activities run by seniors for junior students
- A formalised Peer Support system
- House Competitions
- A Learning Support Department which helps students with special learning needs:
- Individual and group remedial tutors
- ESOL work
- Reading option
- Teacher Aides
- Opportunities for close involvement of parents and caregivers:
- Rangatahi Ora Whanau Group
- In-class support
- Course selection
- Report evenings; orientation evenings
- Sports coaches and managers
- Information evenings eg NCEA
- Parent conferences