Horowhenua College

office@horowhenua.school.nz     0800 HOROWHENUA     Get Social

School History

Horowhenua College Entrance

Horowhenua College is a co-educational school of more than 700 students and 80 teaching and administration staff.  Established in 1940, it is the longest established and largest of the four colleges in the Horowhenua area.

Past Pupils Association

Four and a half years after the opening of Horowhenua College (1944) a very enthusiastic committee, under the “chairmanship” of the late Marsden Staples, was formed to run dances, reunions etc.  The object of the Association was recorded back then as:

“To keep alive the traditions of the college, and to enable and maintain contact between its pupils after their college days are over. In this it can only be successful with the full support of all old pupils.  We look forward to welcoming to our ranks all those who leave school this, and every year, and to assure them of some very happy times with their fellow old pupils.” (Tararua 1945).


The Old Pupils Association contributed the initial funds for the Gymnasium in 1970.  The “Thomas Room”, displaying Honors Boards, memorabilia, old uniforms, etc, was completed along with a joint project run by the then PTA for a new canteen and is freehold as a result of donations, grants, and funds raised being made to the college.  This room has been in constant use for receptions for sports teams, meetings, and Old Pupil Association evenings to name but a few.